Homemade Laundry Soap Recipe*
- 2 gallons Water
- 1 bar Soap (grated) - You can use Fels Naptha soap, but I like to use a moisturizing, soap, which I feel is gentler on the clothes.
- 2 cups Baking Soda (yes baking soda–not washing soda)
- Essential Oils (Optional) - Get them here.
- Melt grated soap in a saucepan with enough hot water to cover. Cook on medium-low heat, stirring frequently until melted.
- In a large pan, heat water so it's hot but not boiling. Remove the water from the heat and add the melted mixture. Stir well.
- Add the baking soda, stir well again. You could add essential oils at this time if you'd like.
- Allow to set for a day, then stir any gel that forms at the top into the rest of the mixture. You can put this in a jug to pour or in a tub to scoop, depending how thick your mixture gets.
- Use 1/2 cup per full laundry load, 1 cup per very soiled load.
* This recipe is very simple, but if you really don't want to mess with it, I found an all natural laundry soap with only a few all natural ingredients that you can purchase here.