Table salt and sea salt both started out as the same thing, because all salt is derived from nature. Some salt labels boast of being sea salt and they aren't lying per se, but you can tell they have been processed and refined because of their snowy white color. Unrefined sea salt is actually a grey color (Celtic) or a pink color (Himalayan). The natural, unrefined state of salt is very healthy, beneficial, and necessary by every cell in the body to sustain quality life. However, table salt is refined and heated at temperatures as high as 1200 degrees Fahrenheit when processed, which kills all of the nutritional value, and by doing so creates a higher concentration of sodium chloride. Sea salt is 86% sodium chloride, and 14% of other essential minerals, such as naturally occurring iodine, magnesium, and potassium. In fact, Himalayan sea salt has 84 essential minerals, which are coincidentally the exact same minerals naturally found in the healthy human body! Table salt is 97.5% sodium chloride. The other 2.5% of table salt is made up of additives such as anti-caking and flowing agents with names such as aluminum hydroxide--and we all recognize aluminum as a poison to our bodies. Although sea salt has less sodium chloride, it is known to have more flavor and people often use less of it to "salt to taste" than they would when using table salt.
Okay, enough of the mumbo jumbo. What do these salts do to the body? That's the difference that counts! Table salt is actually so processed and refined that it can be considered energetically dead, and the body doesn't even recognize it as nourishment. In fact table salt is treated as a toxic invader, and the body accumulates water in and around all the cells to protect them. This results in the salt not being able to be utilized by the body. Sea salt, on the other hand is recognized as the energetically alive essential nutrient that it is. The essential minerals in unprocessed sea salt can be readily absorbed and utilized by the body. It helps the body to distribute bodily fluids evenly within the body, rather than pooling around cells to protect them.
When a body is deficient in sodium, bad things happens such as sunken eyes, wrinkly skin, fatigue, hypertension (yes, from sodium deficiency!), headaches, and confusion. Please be wary of low salt diets. Low table salt yes (and low processed food which is a big source of energetically dead table salt), but not a low sea salt diet!
If you found this article beneficial, please join us on Facebook:
While you're there, we would love for you to "like" our page!